- 1 piece of pita bread or 2 flour tortillas
- 1 medium size ripe tomato, sliced into thin rounds
- 1/2 cup softened cream cheese
- 8 spinach leaves, clean and crisp
- 3 basil leaves
- 1 scallion or 6 chives, minced
- Snip around the edge of the pita
bread to make two circles. Place the circles, inside up, on
the softened cream cheese in a small bowl.
- Stir in the minced
scallion, chives or basil or a combination of the three.
Or leave the cream cheese plain.
- Use a butter knife to spread a thin layer
of cream cheese onto each pita half.
- Place about 3 thin slices
of tomato on top of the cream cheese to make a single layer.
a little cream cheese onto each spinach leaf. (This helps
hold the sandwich together.)
- Lay the spinach leaves on top of the tomatoes.
- Roll up the sandwich
slowly, pressing tightly as you roll.
- Cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
to see the spiral.
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 medium tomato, thickly sliced
- shredded fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 c Parmesan cheese bread crumbs
- Cut eggplant into 8 slices, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Arrange in a single layer on a tray or board, and sprinkle
generously with salt.
- Let stand for 20 minutes, rinse under cold water, and pat dry
with paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Brush a shallow baking pan with oil.
- Lay 4 slices of eggplant on prepared pan.
- Brush with oil.
- Spread ricotta cheese on each slice.
- Top with a slice of tomato and some basil.
- Place another eggplant slice on each stack.
- Brush lightly with olive oil.
- Sprlinkle with combined parmesan cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until eggplant is tender and golden.
Oklahoma Ag in the Classroom is a program of the Oklahoma Cooperative
Extension Service, Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food and Forestry
and the Oklahoma State Department of Education
Back to Food
Back to Food and Fun