- 3 cleaned and emptied vegetable or fruit cans
- ziplock bag
- nonstick cooking spray
- aluminum foil
- ½ cup rye flour
- ½ cup wheat flour
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup pecans (optional)
- ½ cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 3 T. sugar
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup molasses or maple syrup
- ¾ t. salt
- crock pot or slow cooker
- Mix all ingredients in a ziplock bag.
- Spray vegetable
cans with nonstick cooking spray.
- Divide bread mixture
equally between the cans.
- Cover the top of each can with
a piece of foil that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking
the foil with a rubber band.
- Place the cans in a crock
pot or slow cooker and add enough hot water to reach ½ way
up the cans.
- Put the lid on the crock pot and cook on
low for 4 hours.
- To remove bread from the cans, lay the
cans on their side and roll or tap gently.
- Cool or wire
rack or cut and cool on plates.
The Little Red Hen's Song